Graduated in 1949 at Florence University, in 1950 he was awarded with a Fullbright & Smith-Mundt Scholarship to study with Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Ludwig Hilberseimer at the Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, U.S.A.. Winner of many National Competitions (Ministry of Foreign Affairs, National Council of Research and others). In 1949 he was Assistant to Prof. Arch. Giovanni Michelucci (Director of Architecture and City Planning Institute – Engineering Faculty of Bologna University), and devoted himself to scientific research.
In 1953 he won a Fellowship, sponsored by the Finnish Government, for architectural researches in Helsinki, in contact with Alvar Aalto.
He won the national competition sponsored by the C.N.R., Rome, for research in the field of “Thin Shells” and their architectural application for spanning large areas, in contact with Pier Luigi Nervi.
In 1958 he became Professor in Architecture Composition. In 1959 Richard J. Neutra invited him to collaborate in architectural projects at Maracaibo, Venezuela. In 1962 he was invited as “Visiting Professor” by Josè Luis Sert, Dean of the Graduate School of Design, at Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.,U.S.A., and later, for the school year 1964-65, he was invited by the Iowa State University, School of Architecture, Ames, Iowa, U.S.A..
In 1972 he was a member of the 1st Italian Cultural-Professional Mission to the Chinese Popular Republic. In the same year he was invited as guest lecturer at the Architecture Department of the Polytechnical Institute of Warsaw, in Poland.
In 1988 he was Guest Speaker at the Chicago’s Graham Foundation, during the International Symposium to celebrate Ludwig Hilberseimer Centenary, held in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A..
Since 1963 he has taught, at the Biennium of the Faculty of Engineering at Parma University, acting as Director of the Institute of Architecture and Design from 1976 to 1990.
As Professor of Architectural Composition at the Universities of Firenze and Parma, he has always considered his own office as an open atelier where young gifted architects, coming from various countries, may freely develop a learning process necessary to get professional skills in wide architectural fields.
In the course of his ininterrupted professional activity started in 1949 and extended to many Italian and foreign cities, he has projected and built public and office buildings, medical and hospital structures, university and scientific research buildings, schools and higher educational facilities, commercial and financial centres, banks, industrial buildings, military structures, religious, recreational, cultural and sport buildings, residential complexes, and restoration of important monumental buildings.
He is the author of many pubblications, among them “Come si costruisce oggi nel mondo” – Ulrico Hoepli Editore – with the preface of Ludwig Hilberseimer .
The philosophical approach to any project commissioned by his office is always based on the following fundamental principles:
FRANCO CARPANELLI: CONTACTS
Prof. Dr. Arch. Franco Carpanelli
Via Collegio dei Nobili 4
43121, Parma (PR), Italy